These Facts And Statistics About YouTube You Might Not Be Aware Of

YouTube Facts and Stats

YouTube is undoubtedly the world’s most popular website for video sharing. It is a space wherein the users can upload, view, and share videos. It is one of the most widely used platforms on the internet. This article is all about those facts that you might not know of and would definitely blow your mind. Let’s get into it.


Facts And Statistics About YouTube

YouTube Stats

1. YouTube was created by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim in 2005, the three of them were employees at PayPal. They got the idea at Chen’s dinner party, where they could not share the videos of the party due to an email error.

2. The domain name for YouTube was activated on Valentine’s Day of 2005. It initially was ‘’ but got changed to ‘’ due to some issues.

3. YouTube was initially meant to be a dating website, but it seems destiny had other plans.

4. The funds for YouTube were generated from the bonuses that the three PayPal employees got from eBay’s PayPal buyout.

5. The first video on YouTube was of Jawed Karim’s visit to San Diego Zoo. It was named ‘Me at the Zoo.’ The video was uploaded on 23rd April 2005.

6. It was Google that realized the true potential and reckoned immense growth of this video-sharing website. It offered US$ 1.65 billion to buy YouTube and signed the deal in November 2006.

7. August 2007 was the first time when adverts were rolled out.

8. In 2008, the April Fool’s Day Prank was started. This custom is still followed.

9. YouTube got around 2 billion views a day by 2010.

10. In 2012, YouTube created history by streaming the US Presidential debates.

11. By 2013, YouTube had 1 billion monthly active users. Currently, it has over 1.9 billion logged-in monthly users.

12. YouTube has launched in 91 countries, and people can navigate in around 80 different languages.

13. The highest-earning YouTuber is Ryan ToysReview, earning around $22m in 2018.

14. Masha and the Bear is the most-watched non-music video on YoutTube. It has around 3.36 billion views.

15. Most viewed YouTube video is Despacito by Luis Fonsi featuring Daddy Yankee. The video has 5.8 billion views.

16. The most downvoted video on YouTube is its own YouTube 2019 rewind. Oops!

17. The most upvoted video is Senorita by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello.

18. Most favorite superhero is Batman, with over 3 billion views of 71,000 hours of video.

19. YouTube is also the second-largest search engine and second most visited site after Google. Additionally, it is the second most popular social media platform.

20. 70% of the YouTube views come from mobile devices, and the average number of views on mobile devices per day is 1,000,000,000.

21. 500 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute, and over 7000 hours of movies and shows are available on YouTube.

22. 1 billion hours of YouTube videos is the usage per day. It is more than Netflix and Facebook combined.

23. T-Series is the most subscribed channel on YouTube, followed by PewDiePie.

24. There are over 10,000 advertising partners to date with YouTube.

25. YouTube has more HD content than any other online video site.

26. 20% of YouTube’s users are American, and other countries contribute the rest 80%.

27. The number of channels earning six figures has increased by 40% year by year.

28. ‘How to’ searches are growing on YouTube by 70% per year.

29. Currently, 6 out of 10 people prefer online video platforms to live TV. It is predicted that by 2025, half of the viewers under 32 would not subscribe to pay TV service.

30. According to reports, more than 1.9 billion people watch YouTube on average worldwide every month. These users now watch it on TV screens for more than 18 million hours a day. About 80 percent of India’s total internet population access YouTube. There are 225 million users in India in terms of numbers.

Were you aware of these facts and statistics of YouTube? Sharing is caring. Share these facts with your friends and family and increase their knowledge. Let them also learn something new.

Follow Us: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | 

Youtube | Pinterest

Entertales is on YouTube; click here to subscribe for the latest videos and updates.

Praneet Samaiya
the authorPraneet Samaiya
Entrepreneur, Movie Critic, Film Trade Analyst, Cricket Analyst, Content Creator