Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani today launched it’s much rumoured 4G feature phone Jio Phone at the 40th Reliance Industries (RIL) AGM, is endowed with full 4G VoLTE (Voice over LTE) capabilities that will be on sale sometime in September for ‘an effective price of Rs 0.
"Today, I am delighted to announce that JioPhone will be available to all Indians for an effective price of – Rs 0," said Mukesh Ambani amid thunderous applause from the shareholders. "A JioPhone user can use the JioPhone for 36 months, and can get a full refund of the security deposit of Rs 1,500 by returning the used JioPhone. Net-net, you pay nothing for the JioPhone," he added.
JioPhone will be launched on August 15 and the pre-bookings will begin on August 24.
Here are the features of Jio Phone:
1. It is a basic feature phone but will be 100 percent 4G compatible.
2. JioPhone will effectively cost Rs 0.
3. It supports 22 major languages.
4. It features a 2.4 QVGA display along with an alphanumeric keypad.
5. The phone will support a micro SD card slot and will come pre-loaded with JioMusic, JioCinema and JioTV.
6. It will let users watch their favourite TV content, Live TV, movies, educational programs and mirror their phone on their TV screen which is made possible through Jio Phone TV cable, an affordable cable, which will specifically connect the phone to not only a smart TV, but an old CRT TV as well. It comes with features such as the pre-loaded Jio apps suite and broadcast capabilities to the JioTV app. For Rs 309 per month, its users can stream cable television programs to their TV sets.
7. It will also have torch light, FM radio etc.
8. The phone can be operated on your voice command and one can use the keyboard even while speaking to the phone.
The offers exclusively for Jio feature phones
The Jio feature phone users can avail the Jio Dhan Dhana Dhan offer at just Rs 153 per month. Under this they will get free voice and SMS as well as unlimited data. Apart from the Rs 153 plan, users can also avail a weekly plan of Rs 53 as well as a two-day plan costing Rs 23.
The company also plans to introduce NFC technology into the phone later this year. Users will also be able to link their bank accounts; Jan Dhan, UPI and payment card and make payments with a simple tap on the phone.
Jio has decided to create 10,000 Jio offices across India which will act as sales channel partners. The telco will also create over ten lakh physical retail outlets to sell Jio services.
What are your views about Mukesh Ambani’s Jio Phone? Are you waiting for the phone? Share us in the comments.