The new edition of the Indian Premier League is set to start. In the month of February, there was an IPL mini-auction. All the eight franchises bought the players and strengthened their teams. Now, with the season is about to begin, we will bring you the set of articles where we will predict the strongest Playing XI, strength, weakness, and point table position of each team. Here we are predicting the Playing XI for Delhi Capitals.
Rishabh Pant will captain Delhi Capitals in the IPL 2021. The regular captain Shreyas Iyer is ruled out of the tournament due to a shoulder injury. Shreyas Iyer dislocated his left shoulder during the first ODI between India vs. England at Pune.
Delhi Capitals Squad
Rishabh Pant (Captain), Ajinkya Rahane, Amit Mishra, Avesh Khan, Axar Patel, Ishant Sharma, Kagiso Rabada, Prithvi Shaw, Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Shimron Hetmyer, Marcus Stoinis, Lalit Yadav, Anrich Nortje, Pravin Dubey, Chris Woakes, Steve Smith, Umesh Yadav, Ripal Patel, Vishnu Vinod, Lukman Hussain Meriwala, M Siddharth, Tom Curran, Sam Billings
- Delhi Capitals has solid openers in the form of Shikhar Dhawan and Prithvi Shaw.
- They also have the experience of players Steve Smith and Ajinkya Rahane.
- Rishabh Pant is in fantastic form, and his fearless approach will not let the team feel pressure.
- The experience of Ricky Ponting as their coach will also help Delhi Capitals.
- The team reached the playoffs and the finals in the last two seasons.
- Captain Shreyas Iyer is ruled out of the tournament. It is a big blow for Delhi Capitals as Shreyas Iyer knows how to build the innings and also plays big shots whenever needed.
- Delhi Capitals do not have like-for-like replacements for many players like Kagiso Rabada and Anrich Nortje. The team has purchased Tom Curran and also has Chris Woakes in their squad as a backup.
- If there will be an injury to Rishabh Pant, the entire balance of the team will be disturbed.
- Axar Patel will not be available for the first few games due to COVID-19. However, they have Amit Mishra as an experienced backup spinner for Axar Patel.
- Lack of experience in winning the final.
Predicted Playing XI
I will put Shimron Hetmyer over Steve Smith only because of his hitting abilities at the end. Steve Smith, Shikhar Dhawan, and Ajinkya Rahane are similar kinds of players. They all like to build the innings initially before going for the big shots. With only four overseas slots, if Steve Smith is preferred over Shimron Hetmyer then Rishabh Pant and Marcus Stoinis will have more pressure to score big. My playing XI for Delhi Capitals:
Prithvi Shaw, Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Rishabh Pant, Marcus Stoinis, Shimron Hetmyer, Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, Ishant Sharma, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje
Point Table Prediction
With a balanced combination in their batting and bowling, Delhi Capitals will finish at second position at the point table after the league matches. It is hard to pick the winner as the Playoffs are almost knockouts. One bad game and the season is over. However, Delhi Capitals will surely reach in Playoffs. Delhi Capitals will start their campaign against Chennai Super Kings at Wankhede Mumbai on April 10, 2021.